Youth Action Program (YAP) Scholarship Fund
The Youth Action Program (YAP) is a two-week program which engages youth in coral reef science, conservation, and community projects. Students gain an appreciation for the importance of both scientific methods & traditional coral reef management.
This Fund Supports:
- accepted YAP applicants with limited finances
- students from previous seasons returning to Ulithi Atoll as leaders & mentors
- local students as they continue to monitor the reef and fisheries independently during the rest of the year
For 2022, we seek $19,000 to fund:
- 4 half-scholarships of $1,500
- 1 full-scholarship of $3,000
- $5,000 to support the program leader and assistant
- $5,000 to cover direct costs such as boat and fuel expenses
Scholarships will be awarded according to financial need, student career goals and demonstrated academic and social responsibility. Students funded under the scholarship will provide an account of their work and experiences, which will be available to donors.
Donations are appreciated by May 2022.
Thank you for your support!
Donate to help us purchase a skiff!
Help us fundraise for a skiff to support the management and research out on Ulithi Atoll! One People One Reef is collaborating with the communities on Ulithi to secure a skiff that will be dedicated to the research, management and youth work. This skiff will be used by the science team for sampling and data collection, by the youth teams to visit the different islands for programming, and by the community scientists and managers for fisheries, data collection, and inter-island meetings. We are excited about a vessel dedicated to our collaborative project needs!
The standard and safest vessels in the outer islands are a ‘panga’ type skiff, with one or two outboard engines. We have priced a 22-foot panga with a Bimini top and a 90HP Yamaha engine. The estimated cost will be $29,000 (inclusive).
Thanks to your support, we have successfully funded TWO projects with Experiment.com!